Thursday, August 12, 2010

Emotional Week of Baseball







The last week of baseball season is always a bit emotional for me. The kids don't worry about it too much, but for me this is bitter sweet. This season was my last opportunity to coach Lily and Trevor on the same team. Lily will move on up to girls softball next season. She proved she can play with the boys, but has been the only girl in the division the last two seasons. Trevor thinks he wants to play soccer again. All his friends play soccer, so it's a tough decision for him. I'll try to bribe him next year with a new glove, though. We lost both of our last games, but had fun and saw some improvement. Lily ended the year in kind of a slump, was still able to get a couple of hits. Trevor ended the season on a tear, going 4-5 the last two games and making some nice plays in the field. If I coach next year, it will probably be an assistant on Lily's team, and two more years before Brian is ready to go. Speaking of Brian, he really wanted to be part of Little League Fun Day last Friday. Lily and Trevor got to hit some, and test their throwing speed. They wouldn't let Brian hit, but let him pitch off of the mound and run the bases.

1 comment:

BrooklynTrolleyBlogger said...

They grow fast, don't they? My boy will be 20 in Dec. I coached him and his crew for 6 years getting them all prepared for High School tryouts. We were all a tight bunch and had the ultimate thrill of winning a championship together. That day still binds the now 19 and 20 yr olds and me together. A walk through the neighborhood always gets me a "hey Coach!" here and "Coach!!" there. It's something very special to me. I see those boys all the time and we still share love. I was very happy to see you on my Blogspot! You get choice of seat on the Trolley my man. Pick it and I'll be sure to get a name plate on it. The boys in "Bruekelen Station" are working on it right now.