Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Making The Best Of It















Being stuck hundreds of miles from home in training, about the only thing you can do is make the best of it. Keeping with the theme of the website, I decided to keep busy by watching baseball and hockey, and golfing. Yes, golfing in the south is fun.

Charleston RiverDogs: I was able to make it to two games of the RiverDogs here in Charleston, South Carolina. They are Single A in the South Atlantic League. It's always nice to be at a ballpark for the first time and 'The Joe' as they call it is a nice place to watch a game. It's pretty big ballpark, but you still got a great view from anywhere. I was shut out at getting a game ball and the Dogs beat and lost to the Lexington Legends.

Golfing: I can't remember the actual name of the course we played on, but it's on the Naval Base. Being DHS I guess we were able to come on and get some golfing in. It was a nice course and all but looking out for alligators really made it interesting. We only saw one 'gator for both times we went, and he didn't seem real interested in us. I didn't golf too bad and had some fun.

South Carolina Stingrays: Who would of thought I'd travel way down south to watch a hockey game? The Stingrays are in the Kelly Cup (ECHL) championship against the Alaska Aces. Luckily we were able to get tickets, but I don't think hockey is the number one sport down here. The 'Rays won 4-2 to take a 2-1 lead in the series. Now, I think they're still up 3-2. Also got to see former Laker Trent Campbell score a goal and an assist. He was the #1 star of the game and is leading his team in scoring for the playoffs.

Savannah Sand Gnats: Luckily the Sand Gnats were also in town while I was down here, this time playing the Charleston RiverDogs (maybe they're thinking I followed them). I love Grayson Stadium, though, as I was here back in 2005 when I was training in Brunswick then. Always a good time in Savannah, and the Gnats played well losing a close game Tuesday night and winning in extra innings the next. I'd love to bring the family down here at some point.

No comments: