Friday, February 5, 2010

2010 Winter Fun Day


Winter Fun Day -Feb 4th
Thursday February 4th will be
Winter Fun Day at the Big Bear.
Today was Winter Fun Day for Lincoln school. Finally being on the midnight shift, I was able to enjoy this day with Lily and Trevor. After working all night, I met up with thier classes at the Big Bear Arena, where they had lots of fun activities lined up for us. I spent most of the morning with Lily, as I already went on a field trip with Trevor and had to keep things even.
I started off with Lily's 2nd grade class in the smaller gym where we played a game called 'protect the pin'. We each got a hockey stick and a bowling pin, and had to prevent our pin from beong knocked over by all of the tennis balls being knocked around. It really was a fun game and easy to get caught up in.
Our next stop was to play Bingo. I was able to catch up with Trevor and his class here before Lily's came in to play. He was having a lot of fun and won a harmonica. Lily finally got a 'bingo' herself, on the very last game we played. She was getting a little frustrated before that as she was getting so close.
Next on our agenda we headed to the bigger gym to play some games. The kids really liked this as they had some of the big blow up bouncy things that they like to play in. I spent most of the time at the baseball toss, helping the kids with that. I like teaching kids how to play baseball. I played some other games with Lily, too, like tic-tac-toe and ring-toss. There wasn't really enough time to get to everything, but it tired the kids out just a little bit.
After lunch it was time to lace up the skates and hit the ice for the afternoon. Lily and Trevor were on separate rinks, so I did a lot of running back and forth to spend some time with each of them. Even though I hadn't skated for a couple of years, I wasn't worried since I've been skating my whole life. So.. I jumped on the ice and fell right on my ass. Apparently when your skates aren't used, they rust up a bit and dig into the ice. After I scraped the rust of my skates (and my legs) I was good to go. Lily and Trevor did a good job of skating, too, despite the fact that they haven't been this year. I was glad I got to share this experience with them. They were really happy that I could be there with them, and can't wait until next year.

No comments: